Monday, October 4, 2010

Delicious

As I said in my inaugural post, I find an incredible amount of wonderful ideas for my home daycare online.  I follow many blogs written by preschool teachers, daycare providers, homeschooling and stay at home moms. And many of those blogs link to other great blogs full of ideas!  

There are so many great ideas out there that I started to get overwhelmed.  At first I would print each idea that I liked and would file it into a 3 hole binder.  But I didn't have time to organize by subject, theme, etc.  Then I learned about using Delicious from Deborah J. Stewart of Teach Preschool, who shared a link from Pre-K Pages that included a screen cast on how to use it.  

Delicious is a site where you can save bookmarks and tag them as you save.  You sign up (it's a Yahoo site so if you already use Yahoo, your all set!) and download its tool bar onto your internet browser.  When you come to a web page with an idea you love and want to save for future use, you click the TAG button and Delicious opens up for you.  You then TAG it however you'd like.  

For example, I loved this I Spy Walk activity from Teach Preschool.  So I tagged it with the words walk, ispy, and nature.  In the future, when I am looking for activities to do outside or on a neighborhood walk, I can open up Delicious, type in "walk" and up will come all the activities/webpages that I tagged with "walk".  Genius!  

And your bookmarks are accessible on any computer.  Now, if I need to,  I can easily work on my daycare planning while at my mother-in-law's house during our weekend visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment